Kirk: Growth! Extra Space has had 30+%
Core performance: We continue to lead the sector in operational performance. (I referred to people, properties and platform earlier.)
Tenant insurance: As mentioned, we are growing this business that is highly profitable.
Acquisitions: We acquired 55 properties in 2011 and 60 so far in 2012. We have been disciplined and paid prices that will make these acquisitions accretive to our shareholders.Lease-up portfolio: Having developed several assets, we have the largest lease-up portfolio that is poised to add 7+ cents of FFO to the bottom line by the end of 2014. Third-party management: As I mentioned, we use this program to spread expenses and to provide us with a quasi-proprietary acquisition pipeline. Thomas: I believe I saw that your company leads not only the self-storage sector but perhaps even the entire equity REIT sector in total return. What is driving the growth and how much more of a "runway" do you see in future years (for storage)? Kirk: Correct, Extra Space Storage is #1 on five-year total return to investors from ALL REITs and has 26 consecutive quarters of double-digit growth. Within the self-storage space, we top return year-to-date (39.49%), last 12 months (65.73%), last two years (137.23%), last three years (260.38%) and last five years (173.05%). We have a proven track record of growing and delivering solid returns, even during downturns. I've touched on many of the drivers of our growth in the previous questions. Another factor is the lack of supply. In the years 2003-2007, the industry averaged 2,600 new facilities per year. Now, only a couple hundred new properties are coming on line each year. This gives us a tremendous opportunity to expand our footprint through acquisition and third-party management contracts. This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV