Sweating Retirement? Your Peers May Not Be
Today's conventional wisdom may say Americans are worried about retirement, but an increasingly sizable percentage of consumers may not be doing much about it.
According to the New Retirement Mindscape 2012 City Pulse index, a survey released last week by Ameriprise Financial, only 70 percent of U.S. consumers report preparing for retirement. That's the lowest level recorded by the index in the past three years.
However, there were some bright spots in the survey, which surveyed consumers between the ages of 45 and 70. Residents of some metro areas reported higher than average levels of retirement preparedness and confidence. Hartford-New Haven topped the ranking of 30 metro areas, while Washington D.C. fell to the bottom spot.
Top metro areas for retirement readiness
The index polled consumers from the 30 largest metro areas in the United States to determine which residents were most prepared and most confident in their ability to retire. These five metro areas formed the top of the 2012 rankings.
- Hartford-New Haven
- San Diego
- Minneapolis-St. Paul
- San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
Election issues surveyedIn addition to retirement preparedness and confidence, the index surveyed consumers on issues surrounding the upcoming presidential election.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV