He calls tax subsidies for investment "a giant structure for redistributing wealth to those who already have it."
You don't have to agree with Silvers, however, to be tired of hearing Wall Street sharks invoke firemen and schoolteachers when trying to stave off the latest rule or tax proposal they find distasteful. If Wall Street were doing such a great job for worker pensions, we wouldn't have a public pension shortfall of $2-4.6 trillion--depending upon whose numbers you believe.
U.S. pension fund investments lost 2.7% in 2011, according to a report released last Friday by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). As a group, the organization's 34 member countries are still trying to make back the $3.4 trillion in losses they suffered in 2008. Given that lackluster performance, offering another round of free drinks so we can gamble more pension money at the blackjack table may not be the best idea.
-- Written by Dan Freed in New York.Follow this writer on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV