In commenting on the Company’s performance and business outlook, Fred Kornberg, President and Chief Executive Officer, stated, “Although market conditions remain challenging, we posted solid results in the fourth quarter and achieved our highest level of quarterly bookings in fiscal 2012.”
Mr. Kornberg added, “We enter fiscal 2013 with optimism and we continue to take steps to focus on our core businesses and to appropriately respond to the ever-changing business environment.”
Selected Fiscal 2012 Fourth Quarter and Full Year Financial Metrics and Other Items
- Backlog as of July 31, 2012 was $153.9 million compared to $145.0 million as of July 31, 2011.
- Total bookings for the three and twelve months ended July 31, 2012 were $129.3 million and $434.0 million, respectively, compared to $89.1 million and $419.3 million for the three and twelve months ended July 31, 2011, respectively.
- During the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012, due to ongoing and anticipated future pressure on our U.S. government customer to reduce its spending, the Company adopted a restructuring plan to wind-down its mobile data communications segment’s microsatellite product line. In connection with this plan, the Company recorded a pre-tax restructuring charge of $2.6 million (of which $0.7 million relates to accelerated depreciation of fixed assets that will no longer be used). The Company expects to record approximately $1.0 million of additional restructuring charges and expenses during the first quarter of fiscal 2013.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $21.6 million and $76.2 million for the three and twelve months ended July 31, 2012, respectively, as compared to $27.8 million and $135.5 million for the three and twelve months ended July 31, 2011, respectively. Adjusted EBITDA is a Non-GAAP financial measure and is defined in the below table.
- The Company’s effective income tax rate in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 was 35.5%, which includes a net discrete tax expense of approximately $0.1 million. The Company’s effective income tax rate of 26.4% for the twelve months ended July 31, 2012 reflects a net discrete tax benefit of $3.8 million. The Company’s effective income tax rate for the twelve months ending July 31, 2013 is expected to approximate 34.5%, excluding any discrete tax adjustments.
- At July 31, 2012, the Company had $367.9 million of cash and cash equivalents which does not reflect a quarterly dividend payment of $4.8 million which was paid on August 20, 2012. During the twelve months ended July 31, 2012, the Company paid cash dividends of $22.6 million to its stockholders.
- During the twelve months ended July 31, 2012, the Company repurchased 7,055,614 shares of its common stock at an aggregate cost of approximately $217.4 million (including transaction costs). Since establishing the Company’s first repurchase program on September 23, 2010, the Company has purchased a total of 11,353,122 shares of common stock for approximately $339.0 million (including transaction costs). The Company can make additional repurchases of up to $11.3 million pursuant to its existing $250.0 million repurchase program.
- Additional information about the Company’s fiscal 2013 guidance is contained in the Company’s fourth quarter investor presentation which is located on the Company’s website at www.comtechtel.com.
Conference CallThe Company has scheduled an investor conference call for 8:30 AM (ET) on Thursday, September 27, 2012. Investors and the public are invited to access a live webcast of the conference call from the investor relations section of the Comtech web site at www.comtechtel.com. Alternatively, investors can access the conference call by dialing (800) 894-5910 (domestic), or (785) 424-1052 (international) and using the conference I.D. of “Comtech.” A replay of the conference call will be available for seven days by dialing (800) 723-0520 or (402) 220-2653. In addition, an updated investor presentation, including earnings guidance, is available on the Company’s web site. About Comtech Comtech Telecommunications Corp. designs, develops, produces and markets innovative products, systems and services for advanced communications solutions. The Company believes many of its solutions play a vital role in providing or enhancing communication capabilities when terrestrial communications infrastructure is unavailable, inefficient or too expensive. The Company conducts business through three complementary segments: telecommunications transmission, RF microwave amplifiers and mobile data communications. The Company sells products to a diverse customer base in the global commercial and government communications markets. The Company believes it is a market leader in the market segments that it serves.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts