The Digital Skeptic: 3 Whole New Kinds of eBook
But good, old-fashioned, ink-slathered-on-paper, bound books.
"I'm all about real," says Lars Perkins, founder and CEO of Relive, the Los Angeles-based geo-tagging photo integration start-up. Perkins quite literally lives on the outer banks of applied technology. He's on the NASA Advisory Council, was a product manager at Google (GOOG) -- a gig he got when he sold an earlier company he built called Picasa to the firm in 2005. He's been a managing director at Idealab, the Pasadena, Calif.-based technology incubator.
His biography even claims he built an Altair 8800 minicomputer -- the world's first personal computer -- as a high school project back in 1976.Books 2.0
And this most interesting tech man in the world is now betting that printed volumes are a critical business component to his latest venture, Relive. What this online software tool does is securely collect images from smartphones, cameras, PCs, tablets or anything that can take a picture, then organize them around, say, a wedding and put all those images in virtual space any Web user can access easily. "I could not find a way to bring all my images together from an event in one place," Perkins told me as he demoed the product here in New York. "So I made one that could." And Perkins is going old-school on getting Relive to live as a business. "We are going to offer on-demand printed versions of the albums we organize," he said. Perkins is not the lone reader in the nuevo-book revolution.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV