Discovery Communications Announces New Partnerships And Commitments In Support Of United Nations, Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) And Obama Administration Education Priorities
NEW YORK, Sept. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- In keeping with its 27-year mission to support education and lifelong learning by igniting curiosity and delivering the thrill of discovery to people around the world, Discovery Communications today announced a number of new partnerships and commitments in support of United Nations, Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) and Obama Administration education priorities through its Discovery Education division and the nonprofit Discovery Channel Global Education Partnership (DCGEP).
The new commitments, announced this week at separate events in New York City by Discovery Communications Founder and Chairman John Hendricks and Discovery Education CEO Bill Goodwyn, include:
- A new $7.4 million commitment to extend DCGEP's efforts to use the power of media to transform education and improve lives in the developing world, in support of the UN's 'Education First' initiative and the Global Business Coalition for Education, of which Discovery is a founding member.
- i.am.STEAM, a collaboration between artist and youth advocate will.i.am's i.am.angel Foundation and Discovery Education to engage U.S. students in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) education as part of Discovery's commitment as a member of CGI.
- STEM POWER!, a new Discovery Education program dedicated to empowering girls in the U.S. with tools for succeeding in STEM-related fields, and 'Discovery Girls,' a new DCGEP program in Africa dedicated to improving the education outcomes of marginalized girls, in support of the Equal Futures Partnership led by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Additionally, Hendricks joined UN Secretary Ban Ki-Moon, former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown and other leaders at UN General Assembly events on September 26 and 27 to address business' role in acting on global education priorities, and, on September 24, Goodwyn represented Discovery on a plenary panel at the CGI Annual Meeting to discuss Discovery's overall commitment to improving global education through its Discovery Education division, the i.am.STEAM initiative with will.i.am and the i.m.angel foundation, and DCGEP.
"Empowering and supporting education has been part of Discovery's DNA since the day we launched Discovery Channel on June 17, 1985, and the first call we received was from a teacher asking to use our content to ignite and inspire the curiosity of students in the classroom," said Hendricks. "Discovery is proud to be partnering with the United Nations, the Clinton Global Initiative, and other members of the Global Business Coalition for Education to make a difference in the lives of young people around the world, both through Discovery Education and the Discovery Channel Global Education Partnership.""When John Hendricks founded Discovery Communications he recognized the power and responsibility that private industry has in helping to drive education priorities around the world," said Goodwyn. "Today we're excited to continue building upon that legacy through Discovery Education's partnership with the i.am.angel Foundation on a groundbreaking youth engagement initiative, i.am.STEAM."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV