Tiny Pacific Islets Sinking Giant Japanese Businesses in China
The Japanese retailer Uniqlo also closed shops in China over the island sovereignty dispute, but share prices of its owner Fast Retailing (FRCOF) have held steady this month following a strong net-profit report for nine months ending in May.
On the travel side, Japan Airlines (JAL), Asia's second largest airline by valuation, has also cut China flights as it logged 12,000 cancellations through November. After an IPO earlier this month, the airline's share prices rose just 1% on the first date of trading under the weight of protests in China. JAL delisted after it went bankrupt in 2010 but later restructured to turn profitable.
Wait on the shares of these firms to see how low the row with China pushes them. As the dispute resolves, they will represent a buying opportunity.
At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV