OMAHA, Neb., Sept. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Union Pacific Railroad achieved its best-ever performance in the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) S&P 500 Climate Change Report 2012. The railroad's carbon disclosure score is 87, a 53-percent improvement over last year and higher than 87 percent of all companies to which Union Pacific is compared in the CDP's Industrial Sector. The average disclosure score is 70 for all S&P 500 companies in the 2012 CDP report.
Union Pacific's score resulted in a B rating in CDP's performance band, the same as all other railroads in the S&P 500 Climate Change Report 2012.
"Our CDP performance reflects the company's ongoing commitment to environmental responsibility and reporting," said Bob Grimaila, Union Pacific vice president - safety, security and environment. "We take seriously our role in the nation's economy to provide safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible freight transportation for the goods American families and businesses use every day."Just last month, Union Pacific announced a $20 million investment to test new technology designed to reduce diesel emissions from freight locomotives in California. A series of 25 experimental locomotives are operating in two Union Pacific rail yards in California as part of a rigorous test of emissions-reducing technologies. The investment represents Union Pacific's latest effort to further reduce emissions and move closer to the U.S. EPA's Tier 4 locomotive emissions standards for new locomotives starting in 2015. Earlier this year, Union Pacific earned LEED certification for its corporate headquarters building in Omaha, the largest LEED-certified building in Nebraska. Key 2011 achievements included:
- Purchasing 100 new fuel-efficient locomotives, retiring older, less fuel-efficient ones.
- Earning the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Clean Air Excellence Award, presented by the EPA as a way to recognize emissions reduction innovation.
- Recycling 100 percent of used oil and fuel captured at fueling and servicing stations.
- Improving fuel efficiency 19 percent since 2000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV