MONROE, Mich., Sept. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- DTE Energy's Monroe Power Plant has earned a Neighborhood Environmental Partners (NEP) Award from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). The awards were presented Sept. 19 in Lansing.
The NEP award is one of the state's highest environmental honors and it recognizes facilities for leadership on local projects that benefit their communities and the environment. Only facilities that have earned Clean Corporate Citizen designation from the DEQ are eligible for the NEP award.
The Monroe Power Plant joins the DTE Energy's River Rouge Power Plant as the only company sites to have earned the NEP award. The DEQ recognized eight facilities throughout the state with NEP awards this year.
Monroe Power Plant Director Franklin Warren said, "This award is significant because it recognizes the outstanding commitment and partnership the Monroe Power Plant workforce has demonstrated over the years, to the environment and the community we serve. We take tremendous pride in the tradition of being both good neighbors and excellent stewards of the environment."Some of the plant's programs recognized by the Neighborhood Environmental Partner Award include:
- Partnership with Monroe Public Schools – The Monroe Public Schools Knabusch Math and Science Center is adjacent to approximately 700 acres of plant property that is managed for wildlife habitat. The property is accessible to students participating in class projects on habitat management and monitoring.
- Seagull Nesting Site and Studies – In partnership with Calvin College and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), plant personnel established a nesting site where Calvin College biology students conduct tests to assess the impact of environmental factors on gull population, reproduction and health.
- Produce Garden – Power plant employees partner with the Monroe Intermediate School District and Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan to plant and harvest a produce garden at the plant's employee activity center. In 2011, the garden produced more than 6,000 pounds of fruit and vegetables.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts