U.S. Bancorp is an obvious choice for outperforming in a fiscal cliff scenario recession, as the company sailed through the credit crisis, and is the strongest and most consistent earner among the nation's largest bank holding companies, with an operating return on average assets (ROA) of 1.59% for the 12-month period ended June 30, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight. Over the same period, the company's return on average equity (ROE) was 14.79%.
Following M&T Bancorp's agreement to acquire the troubled Hudson City Bancorp (HCBK) for about $3.7 billion in stock and cash, or roughly 80% of Hudson City's tangible book value, KBW analyst Brian Klock reiterated his "Market Perform" rating for M&T, saying the bank "has proven to be an effective and efficient acquirer and has proved, in our view, to be disciplined in pricing and diligent in achieving projected cost savings."
M&T's ROA for the 12-month period ended June 30 was 0.97%, while the company's ROE was 8.16%, according to Thomson Reuters Bank insight. Klock estimates that the company will earn $6.75 a share this year, followed by EPS of $7.50 in 2013.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV