The company's board and Gooch have agreed that Gooch will step down from his positions as CEO and director of the company, effective immediately.
Investors responded positively to the news, pushing shares of the Fort Worth, Texas-based firm up 1.95% to $2.61 in premarket trading. Shares of RadioShack, which competes with Best Buy (BBY) and Wal-Mart (WMT), have slumped more than 73% this year.
RadioShack's board is in the process of retaining an executive search firm to find a new CEO, and will consider both internal and external candidates, it said. Dorvin Lively, RadioShack's chief financial officer, will serve as interim CEO."We thank Jim for his service to the Company and wish him well in his future endeavors," wrote Daniel Feehan, RadioShack's non-executive chairman of the board. "I would like to thank my colleagues on the Board and everyone at the Company for their strong support," added Gooch. "I wish them all great success in the future." --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV