SAN JOSE, Calif., Sept. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Echelon Corporation (NASDAQ: ELON), a global leader in energy control networking for smart grid, smart city and smart building applications, today announced the beta availability of three new Control Operating System (COS) software applications that run on Echelon control nodes and are managed at the utility's data center. The apps enable network operators to monitor the health of distribution transformers, rapidly detect and respond to outages, and identify technical and commercial losses in the low voltage network. These COS Apps will be demonstrated in booth D25 at Metering Billing/CRM Europe in Amsterdam, October 9-11, 2012.
"We're leading the market by providing new innovative software apps on Echelon's Energy Control Networking Platform. These apps provide quick and precise visibility into the stress points that grid operators face at the edge on a daily basis. By distributing intelligence on control nodes at the edge of the network and making local decisions when appropriate instead of simply routing everything to the data center, operators can benefit from greater responsiveness and lower backhaul costs," said Varun Nagaraj, senior vice president of product management and marketing at Echelon. "Our proven smart grid platform with value-enhancing software applications provides a great return on investment for our customers."
Monitor and Protect Transformers
In many countries, the installed base of distribution transformers is aging, with less than one percent being monitored in real-time. Echelon's COS Transformer Protection App enables operators to remotely monitor electrical parameters such as energy and maximum current per phase, along with physical parameters relevant to the transformer's health, such as temperature, moisture level, and door open/close status. With distributed intelligence, only critical exception data is reported to the operations center where it can be visualized and acted upon. As a result, utilities can:
- Trend transformer performance over time and detect gradual degradation
- Identify inefficient transformers and energy loss
- Receive real-time alerts before transformers fail due to overheating or overcapacity
- Reduce number of field visits to transformers that are hard to reach
- Improve public safety by alerting the utility when transformer doors are open
- Quickly narrow down the location of outages
- Dispatch repair crew or begin to take other recovery actions even before the customer calls with a complaint
- Know the exact time of interruption and recovery so there is no over reporting of outages to regulators
- Identify incidents of over voltage, under voltage, harmonic distortion, phase loss, etc., to meet power quality service obligations mandated by EN 50160 – a standard that describes the voltage characteristics of public distribution systems
- Quantify losses in the distribution network
- Correlate instances of tampering at the meter with lost revenue
- Reduce manual process and time needed to pinpoint the specific opportunities for revenue enhancement
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV