BRISTOL, Va., Sept. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Alpha Natural Resources (NYSE: ANR), a leading U.S. coal supplier, today announced that one of its affiliated operations has received national recognition for its commitment to safety. The National Mining Association awarded the Centre County Strips mine of AMFIRE Mining Company in western Pennsylvania the Sentinels of Safety Award. The award was presented Sept. 25 th at the MINExpo International 2012 in Las Vegas, Nev.
The award recognizes the Centre County operation in the small surface mine category. "To be recognized as the best in the nation is an outstanding accomplishment," said Pete Merritts, AMFIRE President. "We are proud of the dedication and leadership at Centre that made this achievement possible. We congratulate our employees for a job well done."
Sentinels of Safety awards are presented annually to the nation's safest mines with a minimum of 4,000 injury-free hours. The first awards were given in 1925 by then-Commerce Secretary Herbert Hoover and remain the nation's most prestigious awards recognizing mining safety.
About Alpha Natural ResourcesWith $7.1 billion in total revenue in 2011, Alpha Natural Resources ranks as America's second-largest coal producer by revenue and third-largest by production. Alpha is the nation's largest supplier of metallurgical coal used in the steel-making process and is a major supplier of thermal coal to electric utilities and manufacturing industries. In 2011 the company had more than 200 customers on five continents. More information about Alpha can be found on the company's Web site at www.alphanr.com. SOURCE Alpha Natural Resources
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV