TORONTO, Sept. 26, 2012 /CNW/ - Canadians who carry reward cards consider Honolulu and cities in Europe as their most popular dream destinations, while the Great Pyramids, Machu Picchu and Disney World also listed among top tourist spots, according to the 2012 RBC Travel Rewards Poll.
In the current economy, it appears Canadian reward card holders are mindful of costs when planning a trip, as two-thirds (67 per cent) say their budget is the top consideration. Friends and family (49 per cent) and a great bargain (45 per cent) are also strong influences when planning a vacation.
"The results show that Canadians value their vacation time, prefer far-flung locations and are cost-conscious travelers who like to plan," said Donna Lue-Atkinson, vice-president of Global Loyalty Programs and Rewards, RBC. "By planning ahead and effectively using your travel rewards points, you can enjoy a relaxing vacation filled with memories without breaking your budget."
Among those who plan to go away on vacation, four-in-10 Canadian reward card holders (40 per cent) estimate their next trip will be a week long, while 30 per cent expect to take two to three weeks and almost one-fifth (18 per cent) plan a weekend getaway.The majority (56 per cent) of those surveyed said they are most likely to make their own travel arrangements online, while the remainder will have some form of help with a travel agent (19 per cent), by phone (12 per cent) or have someone else make the arrangements (eight per cent). The poll found that the top activities likely to be part of the next vacation include sightseeing (64 per cent), staying in a hotel (51 per cent), shopping (49 per cent) and relaxing on a beach (45 per cent).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV