By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- The bulls piled into New York Times (NYT)early Tuesday, looking for the media stock to rally.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected activity in the October 9 and 10 calls. The October 9s traded for 95 cents, with more than 1,200 changing hands, while the October 10s fetched 30 cents. Volumes were well above the open interest in each strike, indicating new positions.
Those contracts lock in the price investors must pay for the stock and will generate some nice leverage in the event of a rally. But these options will lose value if the stock doesn't move.New York Times shares rose 0.1% Tuesday to close at $9.60. Early in the session, the company announced the planned sale of its remaining interest in online job-search site Indeed.com, which is being acquired by Japan's executive-search firm Recruit for an undisclosed amount. More than 2,400 calls traded against just 241 puts in the name, a reflection of the session's bullish sentiment. Najarian has no positions in NYT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV