Rewards Roulette: Can You Pay All Your Bills With Your Credit Card?
It's not yet clear what impact, if any, the surcharges will have on credit card usage and rewards points.
The settlement requires credit card issuers to temporarily reduce the swipe or interchange fees they charge merchants for processing credit card transactions. Credit card issuers also can negotiate collectively over future interchange fees.
Weston sees two possible scenarios as a result: Credit card issuers make their rewards programs less generous to make up for their loss of interchange fees. Or credit card issuers try to improve their credit card rewards programs to prevent people from switching to other payment methods because of the surcharges for using them. Weston says it's too early to tell which is more likely.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV