Following the recent launch of the iPhone 5, AYTM surveyed 600 U.S. consumers, noting intense interest in Apple's latest smartphone. Some 22% of current Android users are going to switch to an iPhone in the next six months, the study found, while 73% are planning to buy another Android phone at some point during the same period.
In contrast, only 9% of current iPhone users are planning to switch to an Android in the next six months, while 87% are going to buy a new iPhone.
The intense anticipation ahead of the iPhone 5 launch has clearly had an effect on consumers, according to AYTM. "It seems the perceived iPhone excitement continues to live up to its hype: those planning to buy an iPhone 5 are twice as likely to declare 'they can hardly wait' compared to those planning on buying an Android smartphone," noted AYTM CEO and co-founder, Lev Mazin, in a blog post.Earlier this month, Apple announced that the iPhone 5 had shattered the previous pre-order record set by the iPhone 4S. iPhone 5 pre-orders topped 2 million in the first 24 hours that the phone was available, double the number for its predecessor, which made its debut last October. On Monday, however, the tech giant confirmed sales of 5 million iPhone 5s during the device's debut weekend, a number which came in below many Wall Street estimates. Apple shares closed down 2.5% at $673.54 on Tuesday, outpacing the Nasdaq's decline of 1.36%. Google's stock dipped 0.03% to $749.16. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV