Pacira Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: PCRX) today announced initiation of its Phase 2/3 pivotal trial of EXPAREL ® (bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension) administered as a single-dose injection femoral nerve block for total knee arthroplasty surgery. Results from this study and a forthcoming second trial focused on intercostal nerve block for thoracotomy will contribute to a planned U.S. Food and Drug Administration supplemental New Drug Application (sNDA) filing in late 2013 or early 2014.
The first of approximately 280 patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty (TKA) has been enrolled in the study. Designed as a two-part study, the first part will evaluate the safety and efficacy of three doses of EXPAREL to identify a single therapeutic dose for further investigation. In the second part of the study, patients will receive either the selected dose of EXPAREL or placebo as a femoral nerve block.
In addition to pharmacokinetic and safety data, multiple efficacy endpoints will be measured, including:
- Primary endpoint: Cumulative pain scores (pain intensity over time) through 72 hours
- Other endpoints:
- Total postsurgical opioid consumption through 72 hours
- Time to first opioid rescue
- Patient satisfaction with postsurgical analgesia at 72 hours and 30 days
- Proportion of patients who are pain free
The term nerve block pertains to the placement of a local anesthetic in close proximity to a nerve in order to create local analgesia. Bupivacaine, whose analgesic effect typically lasts for up to eight hours, is the current standard of care in many nerve block procedures.“Patients undergoing orthopedic procedures, such as a total knee arthroplasty, traditionally experience several days of postsurgical pain. Currently, to obtain analgesia that spans multiple days, anesthesiologists can implement a continuous nerve block by inserting a catheter into the body that is hooked to an external drug reservoir and pump in order to bathe the nerve in local anesthetic,” said Gary Patou, MD, chief medical officer at Pacira. “Just as we have seen with elastomeric pumps addressing postsurgical pain through local infiltration, these devices can be prone to migration, infection and leakage, all of which can significantly impact postsurgical analgesia and patient recovery. A femoral nerve block that can potentially provide several days of analgesia with a single-dose injection of EXPAREL could eliminate the need for external catheters and devices and significantly contribute to the management of postsurgical pain.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV