RIM Shows Off Next-Gen BlackBerry
NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Research in Motion (RIMM) is showing off a beta version of its next-generation smartphone to developers at the beginning of the Blackberry Jam App event in San Jose, Calif. - Apple's backyard.
The new BlackBerry's called the Dev Alpha B. The device reportedly has a high-quality touchscreen display (768 by 1280 pixels) supporting what RIM calls "Active Frames".
Active Frames is a system of as many as eight small screen versions of real programs that are all actually running at the same time. The company is trying to differentiate its system from Apple (AAPL) iPhone "Widgets" and Microsoft (MSFT) Windows Phone "Live Tiles".
It runs on the third beta version of RIM's all-new operating system, dubbed BB10. Participants at the event report that the OS feels smooth and fast.RIM announced that as many as 10 service providers around the world will start putting the new device through their testing routines beginning on Oct. 10. The Canadian handset maker has promised that the as-yet-unnamed phone running BB10 will ship in early 2013. RIM shares rose 4.84% to $6.61 during Tuesday afternoon trading. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV