The recently-remodeled Carpinteria store is SUPERVALU’s signature project for its participation in the U.S. Department of Energy’s Better Buildings Challenge, which aims to reduce energy usage in institutional, industrial, and commercial buildings by 20 percent by 2020. In fact, the store was one of just three projects selected to showcase its technology to Dr. David Danielson, U.S. Assistant Secretary of Energy, who toured the store last month.
SUPERVALU details several additional sustainability achievements in its recently-issued 2012 Corporate Social Responsibility Report, including:
- Nine percent reduction in carbon emissions since baseline year of 2007, keeping SUPERVALU on track to meet its 2012 goal in collaboration with World Wildlife Fund to reduce carbon emissions by 10 percent.
- $55 million invested in energy efficiency projects since 2007, resulting in a seven percent reduction of company-wide electricity use.
- Over 60 million pounds of food donated through the Fresh Rescue program last year, helping feed thousands of families in need while keeping unnecessary waste out of landfills.
- Commitment to 300 “zero-waste” stores during the current fiscal year; these stores recycle or reuse 90 percent or more of all waste.
- Major expansion of the company’s seafood sustainability program to include both farm-raised and wild-caught seafood, as well as the discontinuation of six wild-caught seafood species due to sustainability concerns.
“SUPERVALU’s leadership in bringing down its carbon emissions and reducing waste should be an inspiration for other retailers,” said Matt Banks, Senior Program Officer at World Wildlife Fund. “SUPERVALU, like other Climate Savers companies, clearly understands what it takes to be a responsible and profitable business in the 21st Century. As the climate threat grows, we look to their leadership to adopt innovative approaches that will drive the retail sector to wins in a low carbon economy."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV