Pinnacle West Capital
Last up today is Pinnacle West Capital (PNW), a $5.9 billion power utility that currently pays out a 3.9% dividend yield. The firm owns the Arizona Public Service company, a regulated utility that provides power to 1.1 million customers. The firm generates around 73% of its power in-house, with 6,340 megawatts of generation capacity.
While Pinnacle's integrated power generation and distribution cuts out middlemen, the firm has heftier exposure to fossil fuels than most, giving it a black mark. That's not an environmental concern but a financial one. Fossil fuel prices continue to tick higher, meaning that PNW isn't truly getting insulation from price swings. That said, the fact that dirt cheap nuclear power is the firm's number-two source helps to offset some of those downsides.A recent retail rate increase for PNW has helped the firm solidify net profit margins in the double digits, but investors haven't seen a dividend increase since 2006. That disparity makes a dividend hike look likely in the near-term. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the at Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV