Forget about graphics: Do you really need to view the stock art accompanying a news article you want to read? Turn off images in the browser so you're not wasting time waiting for photos to load (here are some how-to instructions).
Compress: If you've got to send large files while in flight, compress them by zipping them, usually done by right-clicking the icon and selecting the "zip" option.
Use email: Adding photos to Flickr or posting on Blogger could be troublesome in the air. You've first got to access the site, log in and then post and cross your fingers for a steady connection. An alternative is to use email, as suggested by Amit Agarwal in his "Digital Inspiration" blog. He lists 10 email addresses that are useful when you have no Internet connection that will let you do things like posting videos to your YouTube account or writing a blog post offline and emailing it to Blogger. But don't forget to limit file attachments when checking email by using the settings in the email program. A funny multi-megabyte video won't be so funny when it takes the whole flight to download
Save some money: If you travel often, consider a monthly pass. Delta, which charges $12 for 24 hours, also offers a monthly ($34.95) and annual pass ($399.95). If you don't have a favorite airline, Gogo sells a monthly pass for $39.99 good on all Gogo-equipped flights. Gogo, which provides service for 1,500 aircraft of major airlines, counts Delta, United Continental's (UAL) United Airlines and Frontier Airlines (FRNT) as clients.Pick the right plane: Lastly, make sure the plane you're flying is equipped with Wi-Fi. Routehappy.com helps you target exact flights that offer Wi-Fi and power outlets, not to mention TV service and best on-time arrivals. Also, here are links to airlines that currently offer Wi-Fi on some or all of their flights:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV