The housing white paper also steered clear of other thorny issues for investors such as principal reduction and mass refinancing.
It did hint at the idea of "shared appreciation", an idea that has long been proposed as a way of resolving moral hazard associated with loan modifications.
Investors have argued against mass refinancing and loan modification programs because they believe it will encourage borrowers to strategically default in order to qualify for a concession.
But under the shared appreciation model, borrowers will have to share the upside with the lender or investor when home values rise. The concept might now hold some promise."Home prices are appreciating. Shared appreciation was not compelling before but it is an option that is now much more possible," said Kolko. Analysts have said that there is no single fix for housing nor is there one in which someone does not lose. But it does look like investors have more to gain from the policy ideas being floated around than middle class Americans. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV