MONTREAL, Sept. 25, 2012 /CNW Telbec/ - Showroomers exhibit more loyal behaviour than non-showroomers, making them an ideal target for retailers, according to a study from Aimia, a global leader in loyalty management. Retail showrooming behaviour, whereby consumers browse for items in-store before using their smart phones to find a lower price online, is propelled by Millennials (age 19-29) with at least two-thirds of showroomers coming from that generation. However, according to Aimia's " Through the Looking Glass" retail brief released today, showroomers are also active participants in loyalty and reward programs, thus making them an undervalued consumer audience for retailers.
"Showroomers are more likely to participate in loyalty programs, are more willing to trade personal details for rewards, and are more interested in mobile commerce," said Rick Ferguson, Vice President, Knowledge Development, Aimia. "Retailers should take advantage of these behaviours to transform showroomers to become loyal - and paying - customers."
Retailers have an opportunity to harness showroomers' greater willingness to engage in reward program memberships. Aimia's research shows the typical Canadian showroomer is male, owns at least two digital devices, is highly active in social media, and is excited by mobile commerce. The research also found Canadian showroomers are:
- 17% more likely than a non-showroomer to participate in a retail reward program membership
- 35% more likely to participate in a financial services reward program membership
- 88% more likely to participate in a travel reward program membership
- 10 times more likely than non-showroomers to respond to a location-based mobile offer
"The solution to embracing showrooming behaviour lies in retailers leveraging their shopping data to get consumer insights that will help shape their marketing strategies and drive in-store purchases," said Mr. Ferguson. "The tools of loyalty management provide unparalleled insight that can help retailers reinvent retail and build stronger relationships with consumers."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts