"This is a really good market for us," Whitehurst noted, in a phone interview. "There is relative uncertainty right now, so budgets are tight, and the basic cost saving stuff we do is working well in tight markets." The CEO also pointed to the shift to cloud computing, particularly on open source, adding that Red Hat's well positioned to deliver growth for investors.
Shares of the Raleigh, N.C.-based company are up 35% year-to-date, and Whitehurst said that the stock's performance is based on strong growth and solid guidance provided in March. Wall Street analysts have been predicting that Red Hat's organic growth would eventually slow to that of GDP growth, currently at 1.7%. Red Hat, however, has been able to continually deliver growth of 20% or more on a constant currency basis. "Our job is to beat the fade," Whitehurst noted. "If we can continue to grow 20% every year, that will drive the stock."
Whitehurst noted that when the company surpassed a $1 billion annual revenue run rate, he said the next goal would be $3 billion in five years. While this isn't guidance, the CEO said that the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) to get to $3 billion is more than 20%.Red Hat reported second-quarter non-GAAP earnings of $54.9 million, or 28 cents a share, on revenue of $322.6 million for the three months ended in August, up 20% in constant currency. The company missed analysts' estimates by a penny per share, as costs rose due to the acquisitions of Polymita and Fusesource that were completed during the quarter. Red Hat also expects to see material revenue from last year's acquisition of Gluster over the next 12 months. The company will provide an updated forecast in roughly 60 days.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV