The aggressive liquidity injections announced by the European Central Bank and the US Federal Reserve have created a buy signal for risky assets, according to Barclays latest flagship quarterly research publication, Global Outlook: Don’t Fight the Fed. Although weak economic growth continues to weigh on the markets, the report foresees modestly stronger growth in the second half of the year, which should be sufficient to spark further gains in risky asset prices.
“A modestly growing economy with the cyclically sensitive sectors at still depressed levels is a relatively stable and safe, if not exciting, environment,” said Larry Kantor, Head of Research. “When this is combined with a central bank committed to aggressively supporting growth through higher asset prices, it amounts to a very attractive environment for taking risk.”
Investor caution since 2008 has driven returns on so-called “risk free” assets to collapse. As investors have moved out along the risk curve, returns on close substitutes for safe assets have also become unattractive. As a result, Barclays Global Outlook report advises investors to shift into lower-rated bonds in both investment grade and high yield credit, and sees significant potential upside in cyclically sensitive stocks, which have underperformed recently.
Additional recommendations in Barclays Global Outlook include:
- Build exposure to European credit, which is expected to compress somewhat relative to US credit
- Favor inflation-linked bonds, which should outperform given the prospects for aggressive monetary easing
- Beware of a vulnerable dollar in the short term, given the US Federal Reserve’s commitment to open-ended liquidity injections
- Invest in certain emerging market stock markets, particularly in countries that have engaged in significant policy stimulus and where downside risks seem overstated
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV