BOSTON, Sept. 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- For businesses in the healthcare industry, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) mandates safeguards that must be in place to ensure appropriate protection of stored personal health information. Carbonite, Inc. (NASDAQ: CARB), a leading provider of online backup solutions for consumers and small to medium sized businesses, has added features to Carbonite Business to help with HIPAA compliance.
A critical aspect of HIPAA regulations is data protection, requiring compliant backup methods to ensure the security and confidentiality of stored data. A survey of small business decision makers in the medical field* indicated that 68% are either responsible for their businesses' data backup themselves or assign an employee to manage the backup process. Internal management of this important business task suggests these offices would benefit from a backup solution that is easy to implement and maintain, and ensures stored data is managed with appropriate security measures to guard against unauthorized access. Carbonite Business solutions deliver an easy to install and use service, and back up an unlimited number of computers, external hard drives, NAS devices and Windows servers for a low flat fee – all while ensuring compliance with critical HIPAA compliance requirements.
"Covered entities in the medical, dental and healthcare fields governed by HIPAA need an online backup solution that does not expose them to non-compliance penalties that could jeopardize their practice, business and reputation," said Pete Lamson, SVP of Small Business, Carbonite. "Carbonite Business helps ensure that organizations have their stored data securely available when they need it – a key component of being HIPAA compliant."Carbonite Business provides critical data security protection and can help assist small businesses with compliance efforts, including:
- Encryption: All data sent to Carbonite servers is encrypted before being transmitted to Carbonite's data centers over an SSL connection, and all data remains encrypted in secure data centers.
- Offsite backup for disaster recovery: Carbonite online backup is a key component in any disaster contingency plan as protection against hardware failure, theft, virus attack, deletion and natural disaster.
- Private Encryption Key Management: Carbonite Business added technical policies and procedures that allow only authorized persons to access stored data through the use of a Private Encryption Key so that no one – not even the Carbonite technical support staff – has access to stored data. By choosing this option, stored files cannot be decrypted without the customers' unique encryption key.
- Secure data centers: Carbonite's data centers are physically secured with protective measures that restrict access using biometric scanners, electronic key cards and PIN codes, and are guarded by onsite security officers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts