Seven Things Today’s Enterprises Need To Know Before Migrating To SharePoint 2013
Quest Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: QSFT)
SharePoint is a powerful and rapidly expanding platform for enterprise collaboration, but how beneficial are the new features in SharePoint 2013? How can enterprises determine what value they will get from SharePoint 2013? These are the questions organizations must consider as they learn more about SharePoint 2013.
Before deciding how and when to move legacy SharePoint content, Windows file shares, Exchange public folders, and Lotus Notes applications to SharePoint 2013, whether on-premises or online, businesses must understand this latest version’s new capabilities, and, more importantly, why these capabilities are critical for modern enterprises.
Quest Software, a leading provider of SharePoint tools for the enterprise, has identified the seven most important things every organization needs to know about SharePoint 2013, and suggests a free tool that will allow migration to the SharePoint 2013 Preview environment. This environment will enable organizations to test drive the newest features in SharePoint 2013 before deciding to migrate.Tweet This: Explore top 7 features of #SharePoint 2013 & more for free with new @QuestSharePoint tool http://Ez.com/dnbw via @Quest Top Seven Things to Know About SharePoint 2013:
- User Interface Going Modern: Those who have watched Microsoft’s updates to its websites, Windows 8 previews, or the Modern interface released on the Windows Phone will like the new look and feel, which includes animated tiles and beautiful inline navigation.
- Putting the “Share” Back in SharePoint: The “Share Menu” item provides a simple way to share a document via a personal or team SharePoint site. Previously, a document had to be moved to a public area or links had to be sent around – now, it is simple to just “Share.”
- Adding a Social Element: In one of the biggest new features, pictures and links are as easy to post to SharePoint as they are to Facebook. In addition to following people and tags, SharePoint 2013 now enables users to subscribe to, and follow, documents.
- Borrowing from Twitter: Twitter has introduced us to using @ and # in a routine update. @ directs a post to people (@yourname). # indicates a topic we can search for and follow. On SharePoint 2013, @ directs a post to SharePoint users. # identifies the next word as a dynamic keyword to track in SharePoint’s Managed Metadata Service (MMS).
- It’s All About the Apps: Everything – custom lists, libraries and, of course, applications – is now an app. This means no direct server access is needed to run or install applications, which can be added or bought online from the Microsoft SharePoint Store or from in-house marketplaces.
- Managed Metadata: MMS is now much more robust, as tag properties, pins and terms can be “anchored” to prevent accidental duplication. In addition, MMS terms can themselves have properties, like price or color, and can then be used directly in navigation.
- Enhanced Search: Microsoft’s investment in FAST has been echoed in a completely retooled Search subsystem.
- For those businesses ready to start exploring some of the exciting new features in the SharePoint 2013 Preview, Quest Software offers a free tool to help move content into the preview environment.
- For a limited time, customers and partners can download Quest Migration Suite for SharePoint 2013 Preview at no cost.
- After downloading this free tool, users can immediately move content to SharePoint 2013 on-premises and online from SharePoint 2003/2007/2010, Windows file shares and Exchange Public Folders.
- Many of Quest’s industry-leading SharePoint migration tools are SharePoint 2013-ready today, and will support the public version the moment it is released to market.
- Quest also will support migration from the SharePoint 2013 Preview to the public version of the platform within 90 days of its public release. Native tools will not support the preview-to-public-migration path.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV