- Ninety percent of respondents consider mainframe to be a long-term solution, and 50 percent agreed it will attract new workloads. Asia-Pacific respondents reported the strongest outlook, as 57 percent expect to rely on the mainframe for new workloads.
- Keeping IT costs down remains the top priority, as 69 percent of respondents identified this as their major focus area, up from 60 percent from 2011.
- Fifty-nine percent expect MIPS capacity to grow as they modernize and add applications to address business needs. This highlights the need for software that minimizes expensive MIPS consumption and exploits the mainframe’s cost-efficient specialty engines.
- Concerns about the shortage of skilled mainframe staff plagues at least 75 percent of respondents, highlighting the need for more automated, self-learning software. While many organizations worry about mainframe staffing shortages because experts in the field are retiring, IT should be aware that better recruitment, training and outsourcing will not solve the problem alone.
- More than 55 percent reported they need to integrate the mainframe into enterprise IT systems comprised of multiple mainframe and distributed platforms. This further highlights the growing complexity of the hybrid data center and the need for simple, cross-platform solutions.
- While availability is a top benefit of the mainframe, 39 percent reported an unplanned outage, calling for advanced, accurate alerts to problems and fast recovery capabilities.
2012 BMC Survey Spotlights Mainframe Growth And Pains
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.