How Much Should Your Kitchen Remodel Cost?
Who's doing the work?
Kitchen renovation is a major project, and most homeowners recognize that it calls for professional help. Nationwide, 81% of homeowners surveyed reported hiring one or more service providers to do the work. Of homeowners on Houzz, 57% are planning to hire a general contractor, about a third plan to hire a kitchen designer and another third will be working with an architect.
Overall, 42% reported outsourcing every aspect of the project to a professional. Homeowners on the East Coast and in California reported the highest rates of outsourcing their kitchen renovation in its entirety to a professional: 55% of homeowners in Miami and Los Angeles, 54% in New York and 53% in Philadelphia and San Francisco.
Mountain and Pacific Northwest residents are more likely to do at least some of the work themselves, with only 30% of homeowners in Denver and Salt Lake City outsourcing their kitchen remodel completely. Similarly, only 33% of Seattle residents and 34% of those surveyed in the Portland metro area are choosing to hire a professional to do all of the work.
Home Remodel as Investment?
When we surveyed the Houzz community of more than 7 million homeowners about their remodeling plans and budgets, we felt reasonably certain that return on investment would be a key theme. After all, economic indicators such as the government's latest report on job growth suggest that consumers might be well advised to watch every penny.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV