NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Samsung has begun the upgrade process for its Galaxy S III smartphones to the latest version of the Google (GOOG) Android operating system, version 4.1 dubbed "Jelly Bean". The upgrades, so far, have been limited to smartphone owners in Europe.
But, Samsung is also going to offer similar OS upgrades for a large number of their handsets and tablets.
On Samsung's phone list of future upgrades is the Galaxy S II, Galaxy S II LTE, Galaxy S Advance, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy Ace Plus, Galaxy Beam, Galaxy Chat, Galaxy Mini 2, and Galaxy S Duo.
As for tablets, the Galaxy Tab 2 - 7.0, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Galaxy Tab 2 - 10.1 and the Galaxy Note 10.1 are also slated for an OS refresh.There's also a product named Galaxy Music on Samsung's upgrade list but an Internet search did not reveal any details of the device. Actual smartphone software upgrade dates are to be determined by individual service providers. So far, the Jelly Bean OS upgrade has slowly been offered to owners of Nexus branded smartphones. Our Galaxy Nexus review handset received the update this weekend. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV