Rating Change #5
A.M. Castle & Co
(CAS - Get Report)
has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from sell to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and increase in stock price during the past year. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Get full access to Jim Cramer's thoughts for less than $3/week - sometimes before he says them on TV! Start with a 14-Day Free Trial.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 14.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 16.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 172.54% to $18.73 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CASTLE (A M) & CO has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -27.00%.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, CASTLE (A M) & CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 180.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $3.70 million to -$2.98 million.
A.M. Castle & Co., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the distribution of specialty metals and plastics worldwide. The company operates in two segments, Metals and Plastics. A.M. Castle has a market cap of $295.1 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are up 33.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
A.M. Castle Ratings Report
or get investment ideas from our
investment research center