Generali Deutschland Group, Germany’s largest life and general policy insurance group, faced two powerful and ubiquitous business challenges: reducing operating costs and meeting the needs of its customers. Specifically, the company needed to improve the efficiency of its mainframe resources and avoid operational bottlenecks that affect customer service.
Generali Deutschland Group implemented the BMC CMF MONITOR solution from BMC Software (NASDAQ: BMC) to lower mainframe costs, while providing performance and capacity data to ensure that customer requirements were always met.
“We conducted a rigorous analysis of different ways we could lower the cost of managing the mainframe environment,” said Horst Schmidt, mainframe team leader at Generali Deutschland Group. “BMC CMF MONITOR, which is an integrated component of the BMC MainView monitoring solution, was an ideal means of leveraging the relationship with BMC Software and reducing the mainframe footprint cost.”
He added, “Aside from the 30 percent reduction in CPU usage, BMC CMF MONITOR provides Generali with a unified platform for powerful online reporting, on-demand graphing, and the publication of critical capacity and performance data.”The Challenge Generali needed to reduce excessive operating costs, eliminate reliance on multiple, overlapping tools and technologies and obtain the information required to provide accurate, real-time chargeback to insurance customers. The Solution Generali chose the BMC CMF MONITOR solution because of its superior ability to reduce the workload on its z/OS® mainframe computer compared to the IBM® alternative, while providing a single pane view of both real-time and historical capacity and performance. Its easy integration with the existing BMC MainView solution for CPU monitoring and management was another important plus. Benefits After implementing BMC CMF MONITOR, Generali has been able to:
- Lower the total CPU time and costs for managing the mainframe environment by 30 percent
- Offload up to 50 percent of the monitoring workload to specialized processors, reducing the load on the general purpose processors
- More accurately calculate charge-back costs
- Obtain a shared, integrated real-time and historical view of capacity and performance data, enabling Generali to rapidly identify and relieve bottlenecks
- Read the full Generali case study
- Access the BMC Mainframe Customer Community
- Follow @BMCMainframe on Twitter
- Become a fan of BMC on Facebook
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV