- Shares of JPMorgan Chase (JPM - Get Report) closed at $41.25 Friday, returning 26% year-to-date, following a 20% loss last year. The shares trade for 1.2 times tangible book value, and for eight times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $5.20. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $4.71. JPMorgan's ROA for the 12-months ended June 30 was 0.79%, while its ROE was 9.55%. The big story for JPMorgan Chase this year has been the "London Whale" hedge trade, which led to second-quarter losses of $4.4 billion for the company's Chief Investment Office. But JPMorgan still managed to earn a $5.0 billion profit during the second quarter.
- Bank of America (BAC - Get Report) has seen its shares return 64% year-to-date, through Friday's close at $9.19. The shares trade for 0.7 times tangible book value, and for 10 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of 91 cents. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is 0.55%. Over the past four quarters through June, Bank of America's ROA was 0.52%, while the company's ROE was 4.84%. The company's mortgage putback drama continues, with repurchase demands increasing by 41% during the second quarter alone, to $22.7 billion as of June 30.
- Citigroup (C - Get Report) closed at $33.81 Friday, returning 28% year-to-date, following a 44% decline during 2011. The shares trade for 0.7 times tangible book value, and for 7.5 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $4.53. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $4.09. Citi's ROA over the 12-month period ended June 30 was 0.55%, and its ROE was 5.78%. Truly long-term investors are hoping eventually to receive a major return of capital from the company, as its Citi Holdings subsidiary continues to wind down, and the company eventually reverses some or all of its deferred tax valuation allowance.
CIT Would Be Deal Gravy for Wells Fargo: Street Whispers
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.