Proof Active Funds Are a Waste, All in One Place
NEW YORK ( AdviceIQ) -- Some high-flying mutual fund managers promise outsized returns in exchange for their wisdom. Many investors are happy to pay handsomely to beat the market. Unfortunately, a lot of these top-notch funds don't. Look at the data before buying into one of them.
A better idea: passively managed index funds that track benchmarks like the Standard & Poor's 500. Fees for funds like these are much lower than for actively managed investments, which try to outpace an index by investing in the securities the manager believes will touch the stars. Active funds charge around 1.4% of asset yearly, while indexes ones go for 0.1% or so.
You might think, "Why would I limit myself to just average gains by buying an index fund when I could pick a manager who has a chance of beating it?" Before you buy, look at the supposedly stellar fund's performance.
One great way to compare active and passive funds is the
All large-cap funds: 59.4% All mid-cap funds: 63.5% All small-cap funds: 63.1% These are big shortfalls: Over the past 10 years, an average of 59.4% of large-cap funds, 63.5% of mid-cap ones and 63.1% of small-cap vehicles failed to beat their respective benchmark. The odds of picking a winning fund were low even in the small- and mid-cap arena, where many people assume that active managers have an edge since these stocks aren't as heavily researched as large-cap stocks. Some investors argue that an active fund can outperform during a bear market since the manager can move to cash. Index funds, on the other hand, have to remain fully invested even when the market declines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV