By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- A long-term investor expects Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) to start making new highs.
The pharmaceutical and medical-supply giant has been trapped below $70 for most of the last decade, but Thursday OptionMonster's ttracking systems detected the purchase of block of 7,400 January 2015 80 calls for $1.35. Open interest in the strike was just five contracts at the beginning of the day, so this is clearly fresh buying.
Calls lock in the price investors must pay for the stock, so they can generate some nice leverage in the event of a rally. If it doesn't climb, however, these options will expire worthless.Johnson & Johnson rose 0.44% to $68.90. It rallied sharply in June and has been consolidating in a range since then, holding support above its 2011 highs. That could be leading some chart watchers to believe that the stock is ready to keep running for some time. The unusual thing about Thursday's option trade was their extremely long time horizon. Overall option volume was low for the name at just 17,129 contracts, well below the 59,000 it sees in a typical session. But those 2015 calls really stood out, accounting for more than 40% of the total. Russell has no positions in JNJ.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV