NEW YORK (MainStreet) --'Yes, you can still buy a new car for less than $15,000. No, it's not the size of your coffee table or a pockmarked misfit in your local dealer's "hail sale"'section. '
According to auto pricing site TrueCar, the average amount paid for a car in August was $30,274. That's 0.3% lower than what buyers paid in july, but 1.4% higher than what they were parting with a year ago. Meanwhile, average incentives dropped from $2,614 (or 8.8% of the total price of a car) to $2,457 (8.1%).
That's wonderful for the auto industry, but not so much for the poor souls shopping in a recovering market. '
Despite this, there are still some deals to be found. TrueCar's Brandi Schaffels crunched the numbers and came up with five cars that can be had for less than half the national average without checking out buying used or holding a paddle at a police auction:2012 Suzuki SX4
Average sale price: $13,156 ' The SX4 is one of the most affordable all-wheel drive vehicles on the market, but this isn't that SX4. No, this is a front-wheel drive with 150 horsepower, a six-speed manual transmission and extremely basic features including power windows and locks. The absolute base model doesn't even include a radio and has combined mileage of 25 mpg, the lowest on this list. The price is about as small as you'll find for even a small sedan, but considering how stripped down the rest of the vehicle is, we're surprised Suzuki even bothered to name it SX4 when "Car" would have done just fine.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV