6 Career-Killing Email Mistakes
5. Not monitoring your email inbox.
If your social networking notifications go to an email address you don't check, you could be missing opportunities. Be sure you know where those important messages will land, and if it isn't in email boxes you normally check, make a note to change the email or have them forwarded to an address you monitor closely.
6. Accidentally sending an email to the wrong person.
It happens. You use the touchpad on your Smartphone to select an email and reply to it, only to receive an immediate auto reply - from the wrong person! Oops - you realize your phone pulled up the wrong message. If you're lucky, the content you accidentally sent was non-confidential or neutral and a quick note saying you're sorry to have sent a misdirected email takes care of it. But, what if it was an email meant for a friend complaining about your boss - that went to your possible next boss? Can you say "career killer?"
How can you avoid this problem? Even when you're rushed and replying on the run, be sure to double check the TO: line of your email. Try to avoid composing emails on the run, or when you have only a few seconds to respond, since that will naturally make you less inclined to verify the recipient. If at all possible, consider waiting until you can use a computer or tablet (with a screen bigger than your Smartphone) to send highly sensitive or confidential emails. More From AOL Jobs Do You Need A Facebook Profile To Get A Job? Google Is Hiring: The Secret To Getting A Job At Google Want To Get A Job At Apple? Here's How
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV