What Would You Give Up to Buy Your Dream Home?
With soaring demand pushing rents to an all-time high, homebuying is looking more attractive these days. According to the Mortgage Bankers Association, the average rate on a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage fell to a record-low 3.72% for the week ending Sept. 14, down from 3.75% the previous week.
"Now could be a great time to buy and lock in your housing costs," says Jessie Foster, financial planner at Raskin Planning Group. "If you are in an area where the rental market is booming, you will most likely see your rent increase each year."
To determine if you can afford to buy your dream home, use this rent vs. buy calculator. This tool would show you the fees, taxes and monthly payments to compare with your current rent. Use this mortgage loan calculator to see how much interest you could pay and your estimated principal balances.
"Another cautionary element here is folks buying more house than they can afford with an adjustable-rate mortgage. Interest rates may move much higher in the longer term, pricing some people out of the homes that seem more affordable now," Kaplan warns.If you truly know that you can afford to buy that dream home, Howard says, go for it. But prepare to make lifestyle changes for the unexpected expenses that come with homeownership. Just don't touch that 401(k), Kaplan says. "No home is worth jeopardizing future funding goals." -- Written by Marilen Cawad in New York. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Marilen Cawad. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/marilencawad. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV