This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

A New Triple-Net REIT You Should Leave on the Street

NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- A new publicly traded REIT began trading on the New York Stock Exchange Thursday.

Spirit Realty Capital (SRC - Get Report) is a triple-net sector REIT based in Scottsdale and backed by Macquarie Group Holdings and hedge fund TPG-Axon among others. Morgan Stanley (MS) is the lead underwriter of the offering.

Spirit planned to sell 27.06 million shares between $16 and $18 each. It opened at $15.

Excluding fees, Spirit Realty expects to generate about $418 million from the IPO (assuming mid-point price of $17 per share) and of that, $399 million will be used to pay debts.

Spirit counts $3.6 billion in real-estate investments and loans. Its 1,183 properties nationally were roughly 98.2% leased as of midyear.

The majority (98.3%) of the company's assets are free-standing triple-net properties (1,096) and the remaining (1.7%) are commercial mortgages and equipment loans (87 properties). The weighted average lease term for the portfolio is 11.4 years and 96% of the properties provide for increases in future base rent.

The portfolio of 1,096 owned properties are located in 47 states and are leased to approximately 165 tenants. Spirit's tenant base is comprised of 18 different industries, including general, specialty, and discount retail; restaurants; movie theaters; automotive dealers; educational and recreational facilities; and supermarkets.

Spirit appears to have a diverse portfolio of tenants spread across markets and industries. According to the company's S-11, Spirit focuses on investing in properties leased to unrated small and middle market companies that are determined to have attractive credit characteristics and stable operating histories.

My concern with Spirit's portfolio is that the tenant base has a high degree of non-rated credit and the exposure could lead to breaches or delay in payment of rent that may materially and adversely affect the company. Spirit's three largest tenants (based on average base rent) are Shopko/Pamida, 84 Properties and Carmike Cinemas -- representing around 40% of the overall portfolio.

In an IPO, the owners are attempting to raise capital for expanding the business, to cash out their interest for estate planning or any other myriad of reasons that all result in one thing: a premium price that offers little chance for buying your stake at a discount.
1 of 2

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
SRC $11.72 1.40%
AAPL $94.30 -0.92%
FB $118.08 0.55%
GOOG $695.81 0.50%
TSLA $234.18 0.80%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,651.26 -99.65 -0.56%
S&P 500 2,051.12 -12.25 -0.59%
NASDAQ 4,725.6390 -37.5850 -0.79%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs