One more under-$10 stock that's trading very close to triggering a major breakout trade is Chimera Investment (CIM), a specialty finance company that invests, either directly or indirectly through its subsidiaries, in residential mortgage-backed securities, residential mortgage loans, commercial mortgage loans, real estate-related securities and various other asset classes. This stock is off to a slow start in 2012, with shares up by around 10%.
If you take a look at the chart for Chimera Investment, you'll see that this stock has been uptrending pretty strong since early August, with shares marching higher from around $2.30 to its recent high of $2.84 a share. During that uptrend, shares of CIM have been consistently making higher lows and higher highs, which is bullish technical price action. That move has quickly pushing CIM within range of triggering a major breakout trade.
Traders should now look for long-biased trades in CIM once it manages to break out above some key overhead resistance levels at $2.84 to $2.93 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that registers near or above its three-month average action of 12,329,300 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then CIM will setup to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $3.20 to $3.45 a share.One could look to buy CIM off any weakness and simply anticipate that breakout, with a stop that sits just below its 200-day moving average of $2.60 a share. One could also get long CIM off strength once it clears $2.84 to $2.93 a share with volume, and then simply use a stop at around $2.70 to $2.60 a share. To see more hot under-$10 equities, check out the Stocks Under-$10 Setting Up to Explode portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Winderemere, Fla.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV