WINDERMERE, Fla. (Stockpickr) -- There isn't a day that goes by on Wall Street when certain stocks trading near or under $10 a share don't experience massive spikes higher. Traders savvy enough to follow the low-priced names and trade them with discipline and sound risk management are banking ridiculous coin on a regular basis.
Just take a look at some of the hot movers in the under-$10 complex from Wednesday, including Cyclacel Pharmaceuticals (CYCC), which exploded higher by 27%; Achillion Pharmaceuticals (ACHN), which soared by 26%; Groupon (GRPN), which ripped higher by 13%; and Zogenix (ZGNX), which finished up 11%. You don't even have to catch the entire move in lower-priced stocks such as these to make outsized returns when trading.
A low-priced stock that I recently flagged that went on to skyrocket to the upside was BioFuel Energy (BIOF). I highlighted BIOF in my Aug. 2 "5 Stocks Under $10 Ready to Soar Higher" article at around $3.30 a share. I mentioned that BIOF was starting to reverse its downtrend and large upside volume was starting to move into the stock. I also highlighted how BIOF was setting up to trigger a near-term breakout trade above $3.39 to $3.75 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV