While this exchange-traded fund has suffered mightily in the global growth slowdown, worldwide monetary stimulus has been particularly kind to FCG in the past. After 2010's installation of QE2, in fact, FCG went on a 50% six-month run between October 2010 and April 2011.
I might be inclined to overweight "nat gas production" via FCG in aggressive client portfolios. Not only do I believe the commodity itself will get a boost from central-bank reflation policies.
But whatever the composition of Congress in 2013, the legislative branch should be able to agree on one of the country's clearest competitive advantages.That said, Middle East crises and euro-zone flare-ups could keep cyclical investments on edge. For that reason, one should not expect to buy-n-hold the First Trust ISE-Revere Natural Gas Index Fund. Look for a buying opportunity near the 50-day moving average and employ a protective stop order when you make your purchase. This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV