Hawken downgraded Morgan Stanley (MS) to a "Neutral" rating from a "Buy" rating, while maintaining his price target of $19.00.
Morgan Stanley's shares closed at $17.57 Wednesday, returning 17% year-to-date, following last year's 44% decline. The shares trade for 0.6 times their reported June 30 tangible book value of $31.02, and for nine times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $1.95.
Hawken estimates that Morgan Stanley will earn a dollar a share for 2012, increasing to earnings of $2.10 a share in 2013.
The analyst said that "MS has made a number of strategic missteps in recent years and has struggled to generate optimal returns for shareholders... as a result, the stock has struggled relative to its peers, and become a 'show me' story."Once again, the longer-term view is brighter. Hawken said "the firm still has significant brand equity and many of the pieces in place to return the firm to prominence once again." "While MS is facing several unique threats, its capital and liquidity positions have improved dramatically, and we believe its valuation is attractive even in a relatively severe environment," he said, adding that "the key to a higher multiple for the stock will be to improve the capital efficiency and returns in MS's struggling
Interested in more on Morgan Stanley? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV