Amazon.com (AMZN) is in rally mode right now. Shares are up more than 51% year-to-date, consistently breaking out above any price levels that put up any semblance of resistance. So now, the question is whether shares can still push through higher ground in the $260s. Investors can take a breather -- the technicals look promising.
Amazon is forming a very short-term ascending triangle pattern right now, essentially a smaller version of the setup that AMZN broke out of at the end of July. The ascending triangle is a price pattern that's formed by a horizontal resistance level to the upside and uptrending support below shares. As AMZN bounces in between those two technically significant prices, it's constantly getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above that resistance level, in this case at $262.
When that breakout happens, we've got a high-probability buy signal that Amazon is going to continue to make new highs. So far this summer, it's been clear that buyers have full control in this stock. A push above $262 means that the small glut of supply of shares at that level has been absorbed by increasingly eager buyers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV