First up is McDonald's (MCD) a stock that's struggled this year, slipping more than 7.4% since January, a time over which the S&P 500 rallied more than 16% so far. But things are looking up for Ronald McDonald and the Hamburgler -- and more important, for investors.
That's because the company behind the "Golden Arches" is forming a technical trading pattern that looks a whole lot like the arches -- just flipped upside down. McDonald's is forming a double bottom pattern, formed by two swing lows that bottom out at approximately the same price level. The buy signal comes when shares push through the resistance level that separates the two bottoms; for MCD, the price was $92, and the breakout happened on Wednesday.
The fact that the breakout is so new (it was really only confirmed yesterday when shares held out above $92) and the double bottom pattern was so large means that there's still considerable upside to be had from this setup. I'd recommend buying here with a protective stop in at the 50-day moving average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV