NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The major U.S. stock averages booked a mixed finish Thursday after a raft of data from both the United States and abroad put a damper on investor sentiment.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed up 19 points, or 0.14%, at 13,597. The blue-chip index, which began the session up close to 11% year to date, was down roughly 75 points at its session low.
Breadth within the Dow reflected the seesaw action with winners edging losers, 17 to 13. The biggest percentage gainers were Chevron (CVX), Exxon Mobil (XOM), Kraft Foods (KFT), Microsoft (MSFT), and Pfizer (PFE), all rising more than 1%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV