“The extensive number of patents named in the complaints against Apple and Google, together with the four patents pending in another case filed last year before the International Trade Commission against Apple and RIM – and their foundational nature – showcase the breadth and depth of our portfolio, which includes inventions key to mobility, including smart devices, cloud and push technologies, location-based advertising and services, and application and content access,” said Mulica.
In the case against Apple, the complaint specifically alleges that infringing Apple products and services include, among others:
- Mobile Devices (including mobile phones, tablets, and music players with the iOS operating system including iPhones, iPads, and iPods),
- Mobile Digital Content Systems and/or Services (including Apple App Store, Apple Apps, iTunes),
- Cloud Messaging Systems and/or Services (including Apple Push Notification Service (APNS), Siri), and
- Map and Location Systems and/or Services (including Apple Maps, Local Search, iAds, Safari web browser, Find My iPhone, Find My iPad, and Find My Friends).
The patents asserted against Apple are:
1. United States Patent No. 6,317,594, entitled “System and method for providing data to a wireless device upon detection of activity of the device on a wireless network,” asserted against devices such as iPhones and iPads which are able to get information, for example update notifications, when the device is switched on or moves between cells of the cellular network.2. United States Patent No. 6,317,831, entitled “Method and apparatus for establishing a secure connection over a one-way data path,” asserted against services which use a push mechanism to get notifications to devices such as update badges sent to iPhone and iPad applications. 3. United States Patent No. 6,321,092, entitled “Multiple input data management for wireless location-based applications,” asserted against devices such as iPhones and iPads which use more than one source of location information, for example GPS, Wi-Fi and cell tower location.