Another way to view the small cap horizon is to look at the Russell 2000 ETF and see how it compares to the TZA. iShares Russell 2000 Index IWM (IWM) is the trading ETF to look at. Unlike the leveraged ETFs, the straight "normal" ETFs are in my opinion, perfectly fine to use as part of a portfolio. I especially think they are wonderful when used as a diversification tool.
The weekly chart isn't what I would consider overextended. Not enough to pull the trigger to short it (the same as buying a bear ETF). On the other hand, the daily chart is indicating to me that a pullback in price is now expected.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV