The Marcus Corporation (NYSE: MCS) today reported results for the first quarter ended August 30, 2012. The record revenues and improved operating income of Marcus® Hotels & Resorts did not offset reduced results for Marcus Theatres® compared to the division’s record first quarter last year.
First Quarter Fiscal 2013 Highlights
- Total revenues for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 were $117,939,000, a 4.8% decrease from revenues of $123,907,000 for the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
- Operating income was $20,455,000 for the first quarter of fiscal 2013, a 12.4% decrease from operating income of $23,348,000 for the same period in the prior year.
- Net earnings were $10,679,000, or $0.37 per diluted common share, for the first quarter of fiscal 2013, a 14.4% decrease from net earnings of $12,477,000, or $0.42 per diluted common share, for the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
“Last year’s first quarter included the busy Memorial Day weekend, which we did not have during this year’s first quarter. This timing affected both divisions, but had a much greater impact on Marcus Theatres,” said Gregory S. Marcus, president and chief executive officer of The Marcus Corporation.
Marcus ® Hotels & ResortsMarcus Hotels & Resorts continued to build momentum, with a 3.7% increase in revenue per available room (RevPAR) contributing to record revenues for the division in the first quarter of fiscal 2013. The majority of the increase was due to continued improvement in the average daily rate, a sign of the lodging industry’s ongoing recovery. Operating income for Marcus Hotels was up 10.2% in the first quarter compared to the prior year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV